Sunday, January 13, 2013

penn & stuffed peppers

Made one of my all-time favorite dinners tonight, stuffed peppers! Got the recipe from one of the best cooks I know, Payton's mom (hi, momma bettie!). Payton was a little baby for the longest time, claiming he didn't "like" peppers, and then after I forced him to taste them, he was hooked! Thought I'd share the recipe here, since its a) SO good b) SO easy 3) SO pretty healthy. Enjoy! I know I do...



6 large green, red, or yellow peppers (I usually just use 4)
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 cup cooked rice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

*Cut the top off of each pepper and remove seeds and membranes, rinse peppers. In a large pot, completely cover peppers with water. Bring to a boil and leave in for 5 minutes. Drain.

*Cook onions and ground beef in large skillet until brown. Add garlic salt, 1 cup of tomato sauce, rice.

*Stuff each pepper with mixture and stand upright in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over peppers and top with cheese.

*Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 15 minutes.

Each serving (1 pepper) is approximately 290 calories. I substitute ground turkey and brown rice usually to make it a little healthier.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mary! Your stuffed peppers look better than mine ever did!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE THINGS! They rival your lasagna haha.

    ReplyDelete